Once Amarillo Slim said, “Nobody is always a winner, and anybody who says he is, is either a liar or doesn’t play poker.” So, do not hesitate if you are a new poker player, we can help! Brace yourself because you are going to start your journey from a rookie to a master. This article is a complete poker hand guide and will help you comprehend the poker hand rankings as well as the poker strategy to win it. To learn poker hands, two things are very important- the poker rules and the poker hand rankings. So without the further ado, let’s get started.
Table Of Contents
Poker game : Online Singapore & Malaysia Casino
Poker is the easiest game to learn but hardest to master. If you are new to poker, then you should prepare yourself for the heavy losses because of a single wrong move. Therefore it is important to gulp the basic rules of poker before playing it.
Objective of the game:
The objective of the game is to win the pot. In order to win it, you need to convince others to fold their cards before you do. The winning pot is the accumulation of all the bets placed during the game.
Generally, people with convincing and manipulating skills win the pot. Facial expressions play an important role in poker. You need to be cautious from the starting when the cards are dealt.
Basic rules of Poker:
- Poker is played with the standard deck of 52 cards.
- You need to make the best combination of five cards out of seven cards
- The dealer will give each player 2 cards and the rest 5 cards will be placed on the table face-up which will be used by the players to play.
- In high poker type games, the winning poker hands are the flushes like straight flush and royal flush. In low poker type games, the winning combos comprise of low ranking cards- like acey-deucy and low ball.
- Talking about poker hand probabilities, the probability of being dealt any particular form of hand is equal to the total number of potential five-card hands divided by the number of ways it can occur.
The winning list of poker hands in order are as follows:
- Royal Flush: As per poker hand statistics, this is the highest hand in Poker and is unbeatable. It consists of Ace, King, Queen, Jack, and 10 all in the same suit.
- Straight Flush: This is also a strong hand but comes after the Royal Flush. This hand consists of five cards in a poker hand sequence and all should be in the same suit.
- Four of a kind: This hand is ranked after Straight flush. It consists of four cards of the same rank and the fifth card can be different. The suit of the four cards can be different but the number/ rank should be the same.
- Full house: It consists of three of a kind with a pair. For example, two 10 and three 9. The suits can be different.
- Flush: It consists of any five cards of the same suit but not a sequence. For example five diamonds of 10, 7, 5, 2, and 8.
- Straight: It consists of five cards in the sequence but not of the same suit. For example: 9 of club, 8 of spades, 7 of diamonds, 6 and 5 of hearts.
- Three of a kind: It consists of three cards of the same rank. The other two can be different. For example: 7 of diamond, 7 of spades, 7 of hearts, 3 of diamonds, and 8 of clubs.
- Two pairs: To achieve this, you must have 2 different pairs. For example, two 4 of diamonds, 2 of spades, 2 of clubs and 9 of hearts.
- Pair: It consists of two cards of the same rank. The suits can be different.
- High card: If you cannot make the above combinations, then the highest card plays. For example, you have, 3, J, 8, 4, and 2. Since Jack is the highest card you have, you will play with it. (Source)
5 hand poker rules:
The aim of 5- card poker is the same as any other poker game- to make the best five- card poker hand. The best to worst hand in poker are:
- Royal Flush
- Straight flush
- Full house
- Two pair
- One pair
- High card
There are two methods of betting in 5 card draw:
- Before receiving the cards, all players pay an ante (common when playing at home)
- Or, there is both a small blind and big blind similar to texas hold’em (common when playing in casino or online Singapore betting sites)
There are three betting structures for 5-card draw- Fixed limit, pot limit and no limit. All the three structures are played with the same poker rules but with different strategies.
Poker Hand Basics of 5-card draw game:
- Each player receives five cards face down after everyone has paid the ante or the blinds.
- After the cards are dealt, betting occurs.
- The first round of drawing occurs if more than one player remains after the first round of betting.
- The player has to specify the number of cards they wish to discard and replace the new cards from the deck.
- If the player is satisfied with the card he got, and does not wish to draw more cards from the deck, then they can ‘stand-pat’.
- After the drawing round, the other round of betting occurs
- If there are more than one player remaining after the round of betting, the showdown occurs. The players will have to show their cards and the player with the best five card poker hand wins.
Three card poker hands:
Three card poker hands value from highest to lowest are:
- Straight flush: This is the highest ranking card with three consecutive cards of the same suit.
- Three of a kind: This hand is smaller than straight flush. Three of a kind means three cards of the same rank.
- Straight: This is a smaller hand than three of a kind. To make this hand, you need three consecutive cards in mixed suits.
- Flush: It is smaller than Straight. When you have three cards of the same suit, it is called flush.
- Pair: To make this, you need two cards of the same rank and the other card can be different.
- High card: This hand has the lowest ranking. You will have to play with the highest card you have out of the three cards. (Source)
Three card poker hand rules:
Three card poker games are played against the dealer, not the player.
Let’s understand what the three card poker rules are:
- In this game, the player makes an ante bet.
- Each player (including the dealer) will get three cards. The card of the dealer is face-down which means you can only examine your own card.
- If you have made the ante bet then you must either call or fold.
- If you fold, your ante bet gets forfeited and if you call, it means that you must make an additional play bet that is equal to your ante.
- After that, the dealer will turn over his cards.
Outcomes of three card poker:
- The dealer needs queen-high or better in order to qualify. If he qualifies, then your hand of cards will be compared to his hand of cards and the best hand wins.
- If he doesn’t qualify, you will win even more money on the ante bet. (Source)
Omaha Poker game:
The basics of Omaha poker are as same as the Texas hold’em which means that if you know how to play one, you are good to play with the other.
There are two types of Omaha Poker game:
- Pot-limit Omaha
- Omaha hi-lo
Pot- limit Omaha is easiest to play and the most popular game among other poker games.
To play Omaha, you will need two to ten players and like in any other poker games, the Omaha poker includes several betting rounds and combination of community cards and hole cards.
Omaha poker hands:
Omaha poker winning hands are slightly different from other poker hands explained here.
To know the hand winning in Omaha, you first need to know about the Omaha poker hand ranking order.
Omaha poker hand ranks:
- If you have three pairs, then the two pairs with the highest value will make your hand. Having three pairs in Omaha is actually having two pairs.
- The players will use two cards from their hands and three cards from the community cards in order to make the best hand possible.
- The player will have to use only two cards out of their four cards and any three cards out of five community cards to make the best hand
- If the remaining players have nothing stronger left to win, the winning hand will be the hand with the highest valued single card. For instance, the combination of A, 3, 4, 5, 6 is better than 2, J, K, 9, 3 because the former has ‘A’ in the hand which is the highest value compared to all.
- In Omaha, suits are never used to evaluate the strength of the hand.
Poker Hand – Texas hold‘em poker:
The basics of this game are as follows:
- In this game, players receives two cards face down as their personal hand (the hole cards)
- Five more cards are dealt face up in the middle of the table during several betting rounds
- The face up cards are called Community cards and each player is free to use them in combination with their hole cards to build a five- card poker hand.
The five community cards are dealt in three stages;
- The flop: The first three community cards
- The turn: the fourth community card
- The river: the fifth and last community card
Texas hold’em poker hands:
In texas hold’em you need to make the best possible 5 card hand using the combinations of your two private cards and the five community cards placed on the table. The rules for evaluating the best poker hands are:
- A flush will always beat straight and a full of a kind will always beat a full house. So you need to follow the poker hand rankings for this game too.
- The hands listed in the chart will be used in Hold’em and no other card can be used.
- In order to decide the winning hand, the player will have to make the best combination of five cards and their cards will be evaluated. (Source)
Now that you know the basic rules and the tips to play poker, it’s time to try hands on. The best you can do is to start playing online poker games.
ASSA88 is a secure betting platform for live Malaysian casino players. If you are serious about gambling, you can start by registering with us.
What is a flush draw?
If you have the chance of making a flush after the flop or turn, then you are said to be on a flush draw. When you have four cards of the same suit, it is called ‘four-flush’ and if one more is added to your hand, it will complete your flush.
Can you tell me the rankings of poker hands lowest to highest?
Poker hand rankings from lowest to highest are:
- High card
- Two pair
- Three of a kind
- Full house
- Four of a kind
- Straight flush
- Royal flush
What is dead man’s hand poker?
The dead man’s hand is a slang term which is used in Poker. It happens when you have a two pair of black aces and black eights. This hand is quite good and often wins.
What are some famous poker hands?
Some of the famous poker hands are:
- Dead man’s hand
- Doyle Brunson
- Robert Varkonyi
- Computer hand